Robert J. Wolff
American, 1905 - 1977
Signed and dated on reverse.
Born in Chicago in 1905, Robert Jay Wolff attended the Art Institute of Chicago in 1928. Wolff then studied in Paris at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in 1930. He returned to Chicago in 1932 and exhibited at the Art Institute of Chicago numerous times, between 1933 and 1947. Wolff had a solo show at the Art Institute in 1935. He became a member of the American Abstract Artist’s group in 1937 and joined Laszlo Moholy-Nagy in establishing the New Bauhaus in Chicago in 1938. After WWII, Wolff became the Department Chair of Art at Brooklyn College in New York.
Wolff’s work is represented in such collections as The Art Institute of Chicago, The Brooklyn Museum of Art, The Guggenheim Museum of Art, The Rhode Island School of Design and the Tate Gallery in London.